While my foodie photo skills leave much to be desired, this easy Cedar Salmon Recipe was so good I wanted to share it with you. We used real Canadian Maple Syrup (don’t bother using the fake stuff) and while I thought the slaw was alright taste wise, you could fore-go it if you wanted. We served our Maple Cedar Salmon with basmati rice and asparagus.
Note – this recipe serves 8. We only used 1 cedar plank and it fit a nice large single fillet. I left the skin on cause I’m lazy like that and we had enough to feed 2 adults and a picky preschooler with enough left over for another meal. So feel free to improvise on quantities here, this recipe will forgive you All Compliments products listed can be found at your local Sobeys.
Cedar Salmon Recipe - Maple Planed Salmon with Carrot Slaw (pdf download)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp Sensations by Compliments Maple Barbecue Sauce, divided.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 8 Atlantic Salmon Fillets (5-6oz each)
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp Sensations by Compliments aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (SUPER delicious)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 Compliments Cedar grilling planks (directions are on the package – we soaked ours for about 1.5 hours)
- 2 tbsp Compliments fresh chives (we forgot these….oops)
- Whisk together 1/2 cup bbq sauce and maple syrup in a glass dish. Add salmon fillets and turn over to coat. Cover and let sit in the fridge for 3o min or longer.
- Mix carrots, balsamic and olive oil in bowl. Season with S & P and set aside.
- Preheat grill to med-high. Set soaked planks on the grill, lightly brush with oil. When grill starts to smoke, place salmon on plank, season, and close the lid. Reduce heat to med. Don’t peak for about 12 min.
- Brush with 2 tbsn of bbq sauce and cook for another 5-10 min or until fish is opaque and cooked through.
- Mix chives into carrot slaw. Place slaw on plate and top with finished Cedar Salmon.
I really did think this was easy to make and the salmon was very tasty. We are going to flake the left overs on top of some pasta salad for a quick and easy dinner tomorrow night. Can’t wait!
*Sobeys provided me with a gift card to facilitate the purchase of these ingredients. Thank you Sobeys!