Two recipes in one week? I know you must be shocked and awed to know that I can actually cook from time to time. This recipe is the perfect example of how to make your dinner simple and not sweat the details. You know how sometimes, despite your best efforts, planning and skills, a project or idea just flops? Well, not much went according to plan here but we still ended up with a yummy dinner and little H gobbled it up. And for that reason I have to share this recipe cause you really can’t screw it up! All Compliments products listed can be found at your local Sobeys.
Dinner Simple Salad
– Avocado, Shrimp and Mandarin Summer Salad (pdf download)
- 1 Head of Bib Lettuce (we couldn’t find bib, so I used half butter lettuce and half iceberg)
- 1 Red Onion (again, the red onions weren’t looking their best so we used red shallot instead)
- 2 Ripe avocados, diced (I will never again ask hubby to select an avocado. He can’t tell the difference between ripe, and mush. So our avocado salad ended up sans avocado…)
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp (Hubs is allergic to shrimp so we substituted seared scallops and it worked just as well.)
- 1 can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1/4 cup Sensations by Compliments Citrus Honey Poppy seed dressing (we couldn’t find this item in the store (not that we asked anyone!) but we spotted the Sensations by Compliments Mandarin Ginger vinaigrette instead and let me tell you – it went perfectly with this salad and it might just be my new fav dressing. Seriously good stuff there!)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Wash and dry lettuce and place in large bowl or platter
- In a bowl mix avocado, oranges, dressing and shrimp
- Spoon mixed ingredients from the bowl over lettuce and garnish with almonds.
So there you have it – the unscrew-uppable dinner! I couldn’t believe how little H wolfed down the scallops. I never would have guessed. I’d make this again, and I’m so glad to have found that Mandarin Ginger salad dressing. It was so bright and fresh tasting. Try this out and I hope you have better luck with selecting avocados!!
*Sobeys provided me with a gift card to facilitate the purchase of these ingredients. Thank you Sobeys!