A while ago I promised a Chocolate Cake Recipe. This isn’t your average Chocolate Cake. You see…it’s a gluten free dessert. Now, now, don’t get all freaked out. Just because a chocolate cake is flour-less, doesn’t make it any less of a cake. In fact, it’s more impressive because if something can taste this good without flour (and yes, it’s amazingly good) and if something can be this easy (yes, it’s easy!) then I think it deserves an award for being the most amazing chocolate cake recipe on the planet!
Ok, on to the goods….
Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup veg oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Put quinoa and water in saucepan and cover. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a simmer just as if you were cooking rice. Cook until all water has been absorbed (about 10 min.) Taste your quinoa to make sure it’s done and tender. If it’s too crunchy, add a bit more water and let that absorb. You’re better off having it on the soft side, than the undercooked side. Once cooked fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare your cake pan. Use an 8×8 or 9×13 pan and grease it lightly. Also line the bottom with parchment for easy release.
- Place wet ingredients into a blender with two cups of cooked quinoa (should use all that you’ve made). Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour contents of blender into bowl with dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour batter into your pan. For an 8×8 bake for about 55 min. For a 9×13 bake for about 45 min. Be sure to insert a toothpick in the center to test before removing from oven.
I served this Chocolate cake with Strawberry Sauce and a drizzle of simple icing sugar and milk glaze. It was amazingly good. This is a nice, moist cake that’s a bit more dense. It’s not as heavy as a brownie…but not as fluffy as a regular cake. I don’t know if it would ice well because of how moist it is, I think a sauce is the way to go here.
My mom made this cake recipe for my Dad who must only eat gluten free deserts and he gave his thumbs up approval…as did my Grandmother who has baked some mighty delicious cakes in her day. My Grandfather liked it too and he’s not much for straying from ‘normal’ foods. You certainly don’t need to be on a gluten free diet to enjoy this cake and as it contains no crazy ingredients like most gluten free adaptations do, you won’t spend hours scouring the health food store only to return and realize you missed something crucial. All you need is the regular stuff and some quinoa which is readily available in your grocery store. I found mine with the cooked breakfast cereals by the instant oatmeal if you’re not sure where to look.
There you have it! An amazing Chocolate Cake Recipe. Go try it out and let me know what you think…I bet you like it more than your usual box mix. Want more Quinoa recipes? Try this Quinoa Salad