I’ve had this recipe written out on a card for years and have no idea where it actually came from. While this isn’t my own recipe, it’s one we’ve enjoyed for a long time so I thought I’d share our favorite Peppermint Sparkles Christmas Cookie recipe with you here. I hope you love them like we do.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup veg shortening
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- red food coloring (optional)
- ½ cup crushed candy canes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, shortening, sugar, egg, salt and vanilla until smooth and slightly fluffed up.
- Add flour to incorporate.
- When dough is mixed take half out and set aside. Add coloring to remainder and mix again until dough is pink. If you are concerned about food coloring you can omit this - they are just as tasty without.
- Grab a little white dough and a little pink dough and roll all together into a ball.
- Place your cookie balls on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Once your pan is full, flatten balls with the palm of your hand until about a ½ inch thick.
- Sprinkle each cookie liberally with crushed candy cane.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 min.
- Watch cookies carefully, you don't really want them to brown.
This Christmas Cookie recipe for Peppermint Sparkles is great for little helping hands. Kids can help roll the balls of dough or sprinkle the candy on top. I even had my two year old act as ‘dough squasher’ he did a fab job!