Yeah, yeah I know the last time I wrapped something in bacon it didn’t go so well. But I learned from that episode. I learned that stuff wrapped in bacon is better than stuff not wrapped in bacon. I learned that you HAVE to use foil on your pan and I also learned that sometimes, it’s worth a small fire and a dead appliance for bacon glory.
I served this Bacon Wrapped Chicken with the Citrus and Pomegranate Quinoa Salad I posted a few days ago and the combo was perfect. Salty and meaty on one side, bright and fresh on the other. If you’re watching dairy or are on Paleo then it’s easy to just leave out the cheese (but it really compliments the dish if you ask me.) Also, if you don’t have any bacon around, proscuitto ham works just as well.
- 4-5 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless - 1 per person
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese or any mild cheese.
- Bacon (about 3 pieces per breast)
- Heat oil in saute pan and add spinach and garlic. Cook until spinach is wilted. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400F and line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Butterfly your chicken breasts so there's somewhere to stuff the stuffing.
- Place a spoon or two (depending on the size of your breasts) of the spinach and garlic mixture into your chicken. Also place a spoonful of mozzarella cheese in there. Fold the breasts over so they appear 'whole' once more. Begin wrapping slices of bacon around the breasts to hold them together and keep the filling in. It can be helpful to use toothpicks to keep your bacon in place.
- Bake for about 30-45 min until bacon is crisp. Let rest 5-10 min before slicing. Enjoy!