I don’t know about you but a new chicken recipe for dinner is always a much needed item for my cooking repertoire. We eat chicken at least once a week and I often get bored of it so when I looked in the fridge and saw lime and cilantro it was apparent I needed to go for some nice big flavors with this one. Lime is something I rarely turn down – mix it with some cilantro and cumin and you can’t go wrong. I love this flavor combination on fish tacos and fajitas so why not in an easy and fast chicken recipe? There was little prep and a pretty short cook time on this which makes it the perfect weekday meal for your family.
This dish is a complete gluten free meal for me but if you’re not avoiding grains serve it over some lovely quinoa or rice. Also – a little meal planning tip. Make at least one or two extra breasts because this chicken makes an amazing chicken salad, perfect for lunch the next day!
Zucchini has come to be a very versatile ingredient for me and I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Zuchinni is a great source of Vitamin A, Thiamin, Niacin, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese. So much loaded into this ‘simple’ veggie!
Mushrooms would work really well here too but my kids and husband are anti-fungus. Weirdos. A little shredded carrot also would go nicely but I didn’t think of it until now!
- Boneless Skinless chicken breast - 1 per person
- 1 cup water
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- ½ cup rough chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp corn starch (if wanting a paleo recipe use arrowroot or tapioca)
- 2 zucchini peeled and chopped into half moons
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
- Heat large saute pan with oil. Place chicken breasts in the hot pan and resist touching them until they are browned on the bottom - flip and continue cooking until nearly done.
- In a bowl mix water, lime juice, lime zest, cumin, red pepper, corn starch (or other starch)
- When your chicken is almost finished, pour in the sauce mixture and add zucchini pieces. Let zucchini soften - about 3 min. Add your cilantro and green onion and toss to wilt. Serve!