You know how you stand, bleary eyed in front of the freezer early in the morning, maybe just after your first cup of coffee but certainly not after two and think “What should I take out for dinner tonight?” And sometimes you grab a pack of chicken and throw it on the counter having no idea what you will do with it come dinner time. This was one of those times. I grabbed some frozen chicken breast and chucked it on the counter, later putting it in the fridge after it had softened a little, having not one thought about what I would turn it into. I was feeling bored of chicken. I didn’t want plain chicken or even bbq chicken. I didn’t have a pineapple or anything fun to mix it up with.
Later that day it was time to cook and I stared deep into the pantry, willing an idea to come to me and my gaze rested upon the molasses. Ok. Molasses. I could work with that. I wanted some zing, some bite, some interest and went for the liquor cabinet – whiskey! Good old Canadian Whiskey. Alright. Now we were getting somewhere. I tossed in some garlic and honey because those two always go well together and at the last second I added cashews.
It was good.
It was interesting.
It was different.
The cashews candied just a little and they lent a wonderful texture to our dinner. The chicken was juicy and yummy and the kids love garlic so they gobbled theirs up. I considered it a win.
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp whiskey
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic (about 3 cloves)
- ¼ cup rough chopped cashews
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Place chicken in a glass baking dish and bake for 30 min
- While chicken is baking, place all other ingredients in a pot and heat over med heat (watch this as it will bubble up and over if you're not careful) until reduced by about half. Set aside.
- When your chicken is 15 min away from being cooked pour the sauce over the top, flipping chicken around to coat and return to the oven for the last 15 min.
- Remove cooked chicken from the pan and allow to rest for 10 min before slicing.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top and serve.