Cut out sugar cookies are a staple in our home at Christmastime. We make them every year but we’ve never made chocolate roll out cookies! When I found these fun woodland animal cutters I thought that a chocolate cookie dough would suit considering moose and squirrels are brown anyway.
Oh I had so much fun making these silly chocolate cut out cookies! We have been in a deep freeze here in northern BC so I felt my delicious little Canadian cookie friends needed to bundle up too. What’s more fun than plaid scarfs and toques on a chocolate squirrel? Not much if you ask me.
To decorate, I used melted, white candy melts which worked surprisingly well in a piping bag with a small round tip. Then, for the plaid effect I just coloured the hardened candy melt with red edible marker and drew crisscross lines in black edible marker. I’m not a very skilled cookie decorator when it comes to fancy icing so this method worked well for me and I think the results were pretty cute! The pompom on the top of the squirrel’s toque is a bit of mini marshmallow. I just cut it and it was sticky enough to adhere all on it’s own.
The recipe I used is a mix of this one and this one. This makes a nice sized batch of dough and only requires a little chilling time in the fridge to cool down that butter. The chill time means you get a nice, tender, flaky cookie. This dough kept it’s shape very well which is important when you want to use cookie cutters and it’s packed with lots of chocolate flavour!
- 1 cup unsalted, softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together. Add the egg and mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients with a whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl of mixer and stir on low until incorporated then increase speed to medium until mixture turns into dough.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Roll dough to approx ¼ (no more than a ½) inch in thickness. Cut with shape cutters and transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 10-14 min until slightly browned at the edges - it's difficult to tell because these are chocolate cookies so keep a close eye on them. Allow to cool on the pan 5 min then transfer to a rack. Decorate when completely cooled.
Ricardo cookie cutters available at Safeway Canada
Wilton Candy Melts affiliate link
Wilton Edible Markers affiliate link