Every Monday Nate and I drop his sister off at school and as we get back into the car to head home he says “We go home and make cookies now Mom?” I can’t very well say no to this request. He loves making cookies and helping and, oh who am I kidding…he just loves eating chocolate chips and sampling the finished product!
Cookies are a part of childhood. I remember making cookies with my mom as a kid and I want to indulge this delight as often as possible but we try hard to stick to gluten free so a traditional chocolate chip cookie isn’t in the cards for us. These decadent chocolate chip brownie cookies fill the gap well however and they’re our ‘go to’, every day cookie recipe. They’re perfect with a glass of milk (coffee for me,) and simple to make. These paleo cookies come together really fast and there’s the fun of mashing a banana for your wee helper too.
My paleo brownie cookie recipe is grain and gluten free and naturally sweetened with banana and honey. This recipe will produce a thick batter and a moist cookie. I store them on the counter because I find they get a bit mushy if you keep them in a zipper bag. They never last long enough to go stale anyway! This recipe makes 10 good size cookies or 12 smaller ones. You could double it easy enough but I just make them every week – they’re best fresh and take hardly any time to make.
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F
- In a large bowl stir coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together with a fork, breaking up any lumps.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana, add the eggs, honey and vanilla and stir well with a fork.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well until incorporated. Add the chocolate chips.
- Drop batter by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet prepared with parchment paper.
- Bake 12-15 min until bottoms of cookies have slightly browned.
next – get out your cookie cutters and try this chocolate cookies recipe