This incredible fresh pineapple salsa has a secret that you’ll never believe. Yes, it’s full of juicy pineapple, sweet peppers and red onion. Yes, it brings a touch of heat with some diced jalapeno just as you’d expect and yes, some cilantro rounds it out. But what else? There’s something you can’t see here at play too. Can you guess? It’s smoke! Now, I know what you might be thinking. That you’d never bother with the hassle of smoking just for a small dish like salsa. That you have nowhere to store a bulky smoker. That it’s messy and stinky and can only be done outside in good weather. I’d have thought all those thoughts too but guess what my friend. You (and I!) are wrong!
It is possible to smoke our foods on the daily now that Breville has created their Smoking Gun. (affiliate link) I tell ya, it’s super fun to use and I love that I can add flavour to our foods without sauces which can sometimes be sugary. You can smoke pretty much anything you can think of right in your kitchen! I want to try smoking some chocolate cake. Or maybe some cherries to go ON the chocolate cake. MMMMMM. How fun will it be at Christmas to hand out jars of smoked nuts and platters of smoked cheeses to your guests?
- 1 fresh pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and finely diced
- Put all your ingredients into a large bowl, stir and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place the end of the smoking gun into the bowl and smoke for 60 seconds. Keep your plastic wrap tightly over the bowl to encase the smoke.
- Lightly toss and leave covered for at least 10 min to allow the food to absorb the smoky flavour.
- You can repeat the smoking process for stronger flavour or eat as is with a mild flavour.
If you love to entertain and put on a show then this gadget will allow you to do all of that with simplicity. You can even smoke cocktails! Enter below and be sure to share this with your friends who like to play in the kitchen. Because it’s from Breville, you know it’s well engineered and simple to use. The thing that is most important is creating a chamber for the smoke to mingle with the food. You might need to wrap it in plastic wrap a few times for a great seal. That’s really all there is to creating fantastic, exciting fresh smoked foods.