Today I lathered the kids up in sunscreen and turned on the sprinkler. They shrieked and giggled. They ran back and forth and cartwheeled through the cool water as it rained down on their smile adorned faces. Summer is nearly here and we are trudging through the rest of the school year, anticipating all that this upcoming season will bring for us.
We have a lot to celebrate these days, two kids finishing school, a new home to move to, a new life ahead as a unified family unit. I felt like I needed a special drink to commemorate and when I say special….I mean, easy and delish, and spiked with a bit of vodka 😉
I chose to flavour this iced tea with ginger ale and lemon but lime or orange would be nice too.
I used 1 cup of vodka for the pitcher and felt it was a nice amount but you could add more or leave it out altogether if you so wished. When you’re making this, be sure to use a heat proof vessel for brewing your tea – I wasn’t so bright and broke my glass serving jug because I just wasn’t thinking. I knew better and I’m sure you do too but thought I’d put a little reminder here so I don’t make the same mistake again!
- 3 Orange Pekoe tea bags (you could also use English Breakfast)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups ice plus more for serving
- 2 lemons, juiced, plus wedges for serving
- 4 cups ginger ale (I love the dark variety!)
- 1 cup vodka
- Honey to taste (optional, I didn't add any to mine but you might wish it to be sweeter)
- Steep teabags in the boiling water for 3 min (use a heat proof vessel, don't brew in your serving jug)
- After your tea is brewed add 2 cups of ice to cool it down
- Poor into your serving jug
- Add lemon juice, vodka and ginger ale
- Serve over ice with lemon to garnish
I found this sweet enough from the ginger ale, but should you desire, sweeten it with a little honey stirred in. Enjoy these cool cocktails kicked back in a lawn chair, or sitting on your deck as the sun warms your face. Please drink responsibly.