Sometimes a girl needs a cookie. A little bit of sweetness and a little bit of vanilla and a touch of chocolate and ooooooh boy, how it hits the spot – especially at afternoon coffee time. These days I’m not eating many cookies but I found myself staring at an extra bag of coconut that didn’t get used for Christmas and wanted to use it up. What’s better to make than coconut macaroons? These tasty bites are made with honey and maple syrup so they’re paleo friendly and gluten free too. I went a little overboard and shaped some into hearts for Valentines day then I dipped and drizzled some dark chocolate to make em perfectly devilish.
I Love Coconut Macaroons
- 3 cups of unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 6 egg whites
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate for melting
- 1 tsp coconut or vegetable oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Prep cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) whip egg whites until stiff. Stir in salt, honey, maple syrup, vanilla and coconut.
- Form cookies as you wish - I used a ¼ cup heart shaped measuring cup to make mine into hearts but it was sort of a pain in the tush. If you have a heart shaped cookie cutter then use that or make them into round mounds.
- Bake for 10-15 min depending on size of your cookies until slightly browned.
- Let cool 10 min then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before dipping in chocolate.
- Melt your chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler over low heat, stirring often
- When cookies are cool, dip in melted chocolate and then transfer to a lined baking sheet. Once all cookies are dipped place sheet in the fridge until chocolate has set.