Every week since I posted about the Peaches and Cream baked oatmeal for Table Talk, we have had a baked oatmeal dish of some sort for Sunday brunch. I am not exaggerating. Every. Week. We look forward to it all week long. We tease each other over who will get the last spoonful. I made a raspberry chocolate chip oatmeal and it was good. I almost posted that recipe. But then I made a Berry Lemon Baked Oatmeal and it is my most favorite ever. You know how I love lemon. I could go for a warm bowl right now!
It’s just so hearty and comforting. And yet it’s healthy! When we have this, it’s the star all on it’s own, but it would be awesome along side some bacon and eggs for a big family brunch. You can make it ahead of time and re-heat it too so if you were doing a potluck it would be a great option. Heck, I’d even eat this for dessert with a big mound of melting ice cream on top.
I love recipes like this, the sort that that feels special even though it’s just an ordinary, Sunday morning in February. There’s no reason to hold this back for a special occasion. It’s full of goodness to nourish your family. Make it. Make it often.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut sugar, or honey or maple syrup)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup melted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (we use certified gluten free)
- Heavy cream to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and stir in all other ingredients. Transfer to a deep pie plate or 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake for 45 min or until set in the center and browned around the edges.
- Serve hot with cream drizzled over the top.